Connect with us

News

Nick Kyrgios Not Apologizing for Attempting to Hit Rafael Nadal with Ball

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios is not willing to offer an apology for attempting to hit Rafael Nadal with a ball during this intense second-round Wimbledon on Thursday.

Kyrgios aimed a forehand at Nadal, who was able to deflect it with a his racket and glared back at Kyrgios. Things did not further escalate, and Nadal went on to win 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5) 7-6 (3).

Kyrgios brought that fire to his postgame news conference where he admitted to attempting to hit Nadal with the ball, while refusing to apologize for it.

“Why would I apologize? I mean, the dude has got how many Slams, how much money in the bank account?” Kyrgios said, according to ESPN UK’s Rob Bartlett. “I think he can take a ball to the chest, bro. I’m not going to apologize to him at all.”

Nadal stated that he was more concerned for the safety of the crowd.

“I don’t say Nick does this stuff to bother the opponent, but [it] is true that sometimes he’s dangerous. When he hit the ball like this, [it] is dangerous,” Nadal said. “[It] is not dangerous for me, [it] is dangerous for a line referee, dangerous for a crowd. When you hit the ball like this, you don’t know where the ball goes.

“I know he’s a big, talented player, but I am a professional player, too. I know when you hit this kind of ball, the ball can go anywhere. This time the ball went in, [it] almost hit me, no problem. I am professional, so I know how to avoid this. But another one, the ball goes straight to the back. So have been dangerous moment for the line umpire. That ball hits an eye or something like this, is a problem. That’s it.”

Kyrgios aired his issues with the umpire, who he called “horrendous”.

“I’m serving, I’m like starting my routine. Rafa said, ‘Stop.’ The rule is like, ‘Play to the speed of the server.’ Why do I have to wait for him to get into his rhythm every time?” Kyrgios said. “I got angry at the ref. He’s like, ‘No, I’ll tell him what I want to tell him.’ I was like, ‘Oh, a little bit of a power trip there.’ He obviously feels pretty important sitting up in the chair. He was just terrible. I thought the way he handled the match was just bad.”

News

Mercury’s Skylar Diggins-Smith Expecting Second Child

Published

on

Phoenix Mercury star Skylar Diggins-Smith is pregnant and expecting her second child, according to an official announcement from the WNBA star during a post on her Instagram page issued on Monday.

“New addition loading,” Diggins-Smith wrote in the post.

During the latter part of the last season, the Mercury announced that Diggins-Smith would not return to the WNBA this past season due to “personal reasons”, which ultimately levied a partial season suspension of her contract. Diggins-Smith previously missed the 2019 WNBA season, while she was playing for the Dallas Wings, who initially drafted her with the 3rd overall pick in the 2013 WNBA Draft.

 

Continue Reading

CFL

Blue Bombers Sign Zach Collaros to Contract Extension

Published

on

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed veteran quarterback Zach Collaros to a three-year contract extension through the 2025 season, which will prevent him from hitting free agency in February, according to an official team announcement on Tiuesday.

Collaros, 34, has been vital to the Bombers success, and has been a part of back-to-back Grey Cups with the team, and who was named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player last season.

Collaros landed in Winnipeg during the 2019, when the Bombers acquired him via trade with the Toronto Argonauts.

Collaros has thrown for a career-high 4,115 yards with 35 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this season.

Continue Reading

CFL

Elks Announces Taylor Cornelius Hospitalized with Spleen Injury

Published

on

The Edmonton Elks have officially announced that quarterback Taylor Cornelius suffered a spleen injury during Saturday’s loss to the Toronto Argonauts and was hospitalized that evening, according to TSN.

The Elks announced on Twitter that Cornelius will miss their final game of the season when they take on the BC Lions. With Cornelius out, the Elks will turn to Tre Ford to take over the starting signal caller duties.

Additionally, Cornelius, 27, is still in hospital for observation, but is expected to make a full recovery.

Edmonton has a league-worst 4-12 record, with no home wins this season.

Continue Reading

Trending