After getting to know Shelley Lashley, #3 on the Philadelphia Passion, of the Lingerie Football League, I decided that #3 was the best number for this triple-threat!
She chatted with me about her love for food, the pickup line she always hears, and body-image, and also shared an exclusive sneak-peek into one of her never-before-seen photo-shoots, just for our Babes Dig Balls and Babes Dig Style readers!
With a Trini background, as well as ties to Barbados and Grenada, Shelley’s stunning exotic appearance matches her brainy wit! This nursing student already possesses a BS from Penn State University, has fantastic experience as an LFL Player (and Marketing Director), and is skilled in entertainment as a vocalist and model; it seems as though Shelley is poised to eventually take over the world!
30 QUESTIONS WITH SHELLEY LASHLEY
1) Do you remember when you were a kid, and adults would ask “what do you want to be when you grow up?”… what was your answer, and how does it fit in with the LFL?
In high school, I wanted to be a doctor and a model, and people would tell me “that’s impossible”. I wanted to make it possible. I don’t want to be a doctor now, though I started pre-med. I changed my mind, and went into nursing (which I’m still doing). I still want to be a model, and even though people told me I couldn’t do it, I’m doing it!
2) Were you always active, while growing up?
I did gymnastics in elementary school, I was a cheerleader in High School, and I ice skated for three years at Penn State. Oh – I also did Judo!
3) So the LFL was founded in 2009 – have you been with them from the start?
Yup! I didn’t play last season, because of Nursing School, but I still participated in all the games! I was doing promotions in the stands, interacting with fans, and was there for my team, while being in uniform.
4) You’re not only a player, but you also took on the role as Marketing Director – what were some of the jobs you took on in that role?
For the Second Season, three of us were the Marketing Directors. We spent the off-season promoting for the team, and selling tickets. We wanted people to know who we were.
5) If you were watching a game, out of uniform, and you were there for the sole-purpose of watching the game, where would your ideal seats be? Field level? In a suite? Endzone?
Field level – I’d want to get as close as possible, if I couldn’t be on the field. I like being up close – it’s intense. You hear the coaches, the trash talk, and all of the energy from the crowd.
6) What has been your best LFL-related memory, to date?
I would say getting the opportunity to go to the Lingerie Bowl in Vegas, and spending time with my teammates.
7) In three words, how would your teammates describe you?
Crazy (in a funny way, not a psycho way), Nice, and Hard-working.
8) Would your family and friends describe you the same way?
My family would probably say I’m smart, ambitious… and still crazy.
9) If you could nominate someone to be a Sports Babe of the Day on Babes Dig Balls, who would it be?
I would nominate our QB, Christie Bell, because her heart and her passion for the team is just amazing! She played with a broken hand, she played with a broken foot, and the point is she PLAYED! I admire her. There are a lot of people I could nominate, but Christie is amazing.
10) If you made your own Fantasy Football team, what would the jersey colours be for your Fantasy team?
I would say Pink, Green and Silver, with sparkles! I love sparkles!
11) What city would your Fantasy team be in?
12) I have to ask, being an Eagles fan… were you an Eagles fan before you played for the LFL?
I love Philly’s sports in general, but I didn’t really understand football until I went to Penn State. Football is SO big there, so I became more of a fan after that. I saw the hard work that they put in, and I love it!
13 Players are getting more into fashion, with a number posting their OOTD (outfit of the day) on Twitter/Instagram, and stepping it up a notch with their post-game attire. How important is personal style to you?
I LOVE to dress up. I don’t drink, but I love to go out, just so that I can dress up. If I could dress up every day, I would. Right now I’m in scrubs, and I’m in scrubs most of the week… but if you give an excuse to dress up, I will.
14) How would you describe your own personal style?
I like whatever is cute. I’m not really into name brand things… I just like whatever fits, and what looks good.
15) What do you feel the most sexy in?
I love wearing leggings with a long button up shirt, and heels.
16) What do you think is the most sexy on someone you’re interested in?
The physical catches my interest for two seconds, but if I speak to them and they aren’t intelligent, and can’t hold a conversation with them, what they’re wearing doesn’t matter.
17) So has anyone been able to hold a conversation with you? Are you Single, Dating, or Locked Down?
After being single for awhile, I’m in a new relationship!
18) Before you were off the market, what was your favorite pickup line that guys used on you?
I don’t know if it’s my favorite, but I always get comments like “oh, so you’re a tight end?!…yeah, you have one”
It’s ALWAYS something about me playing Tight End.
19) So we talked a little bit about your modeling. If you were going to follow your dreams of getting into entertainment, what would your ideal breakout role be on the big-screen?
I would probably start small and ease my way in, but I would love to do something like the Hunger Games! Athletic, with a lot of action…
20) If your life were turned into a movie, which actress would you choose to portray you, on-screen?
I LOVE Kerry Washington. She’s so awesome.
21) Ok, so back to sports…are you superstitious when it comes to playing? Do you have any special rituals you have to do before or after the game? Lucky charms?
Enh… no. I just hope and pray that I play well, and that we win.
22) Have you ever seen any awesome locker-room pranks with the girls on your team?
The girls prank ALL THE TIME. The worst that I’ve personally experienced was when I was sleeping, thinking they were playing a video game… They practically drowned me, by pouring SO MUCH WATER ON ME, in my sleep. They recorded it, and it’s all on video. It was the worst, but also so funny.
23) What do players talk about with the opposing team, on the turf? Is it always trash-talk?
I’d be the one girl getting in trouble for being TOO nice. Seriously, they would tell me “don’t talk to this girl before the game”, so I’d have to try to be dominant and hard, and get through the game, then go back to being like “hey, I miss you!” while hugging opponents after the game. I never trash talked, and I didn’t get it, but it happens. It definitely happens.
24) If you were in charge of getting everyone fired up in the locker-room, how would you do it?
We do chants like “WHO’S HOUSE?! OUR HOUSE” that REALLY get us going… even if it’s not “our house”, it makes us CRAZY before a game.
25) Because you travel for games, what is one thing you can’t leave home without?
I always need to travel with my iPad. I like to stay connected to the world, to post and record our experiences, and share behind-the-scenes stuff with everyone.
26) What’s the best souvenir you’ve picked up, from all of the cities you’ve played in?
I really like pictures, even if it’s a mental picture – if I can get a picture being somewhere, that’s good enough for me! Seeing a monument, or meeting someone in a city, or just experiencing it makes me happy!
27) Because you workout, play, and travel frequently, what do you do to keep your immune system in fighting shape?
I make sure to take multivitamins, and drink protein shakes frequently. Oh, and always, always, always eat – you can’t have a healthy immune system if you’re not eating. I eat a lot to stay healthy – you can’t skip that!
28) What’s your favorite cheat meal?
I have so many… this is bad… I don’t even know if it’s cheating, because I eat whatever. My favorite thing to eat would be my Mom’s curry chicken, and Trinidad rice. Oh, and potato salad!
29) I love that you aren’t afraid to admit that you love to eat! As a player in the LFL, your fans see you as a charismatic, stunningly attractive young woman. With all of that support, and acknowledgement of your good looks, do you ever still get insecure about anything?
I get insecure when it comes to comparing myself to other girls. It happens all the time. When I was younger, I was told that I needed to gain more weight, and throughout my life, I was told I was too skinny. People always pointed it out! I couldn’t help my metabolism, so there were times when I felt insecure being too small, and not big enough.
30) Wow – there’s so much of a negative social stigma around being overweight, with fat-shaming being fairly normal; It’s crazy to think that the way people acknowledging your smaller build could have the same negative impact on your body image.
It was actually hard, and it made me really sad. I’d try to gain weight, but people made me think something was wrong with me. They’d judge me, and jump to conclusions, and tell me that I need to eat more, or question if I had an eating disorder. If they saw my parents, they’d realize where I come from! They’d realize that I’m skinny – not by choice – by genes, and because I’m an athlete!
Ice Cream… Chocolate or Vanilla
Beer or Wine
I don’t drink!
Rap or Rock
Smooth or Crunchy (peanut butter)
Crunchy… but that’s a difficult question!
Cats or Dogs
I have cats, but I REALLY want a puppy! I’ll answer with dogs!
BlackBerry or iPhone
Twitter or Facebook
Sun or Snow
Coffee or Tea
Salty or Sweet
RomCom or Horror
Talk or text?